Yes Metallica’s Orion Fest was pretty awesome. I didnt get to see as many bands as I liked. I regretably missed : Fucked Up, Torche (who i’ve seen twice before but still), Roky Erikson (too early) Black Angels (too early)
the bands I did see:
- Suicidal Tendencies : cool to see, but they are a funk band now.
- Sepultura : holy shit they were amazing.
- Charred Walls of the Damned: Amazing techy death metal with the former drummer of Death, Richard Christy.
- Jim Breuer : pretty funny comedy set, he did goat boy.
- Modest Mouse: saw a few songs, they really don’t have it anymore.
- Hot Snakes : was the first band that we saw there. I’ve always wanted to see them, they were great.
The two Metallica sets were great. There were crazy pits that consisted of dudes doing MMA moves on eachother. Some dude straight up hurled in the middle of one.
The second night a guy behind us proposed to his girlfriend during Nothing Else Matters which was funny.
They played mostly old stuff, only straying to play one song from death magnetic and to play “Fuel” which was a snooze.
Even though much of the fest felt self congratulatory and a “Victory Lap” for Metallica, I’m glad that this was my first time seeing them, However, I dont think that I need to see them again because they played every song that I wanted to hear.